Pages

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Pattiz may quit

The University of California regent who was recorded last year asking an actress at his podcast company if he could hold her breasts said Friday he’s considering resigning amid calls for him to step down from the powerful panel.

But Regent Norman Pattiz told The Chronicle that if does resign, it won’t be because of demands that he do so.

“Had this (recording) not come up, I might have considered retirement more than I’m considering it now,” Pattiz said, noting that he’ll be 75 next month and has been a regent for 16 years. “I certainly don’t like the idea of retiring under a cloud.”

Pattiz, who has apologized for his remarks and said they were meant as a joke, said he hasn’t yet decided whether to step down.
“I haven’t made that determination,” said Pattiz. “If I become a distraction, I don’t want that. I care too much about the university. Time will tell if I’m going to be a continuing distraction.”

Now, as the UC student government and student protesters demand that Pattiz resign, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and two other regents are raising questions about whether the Board of Regents has dealt too lightly with their colleague while cracking down on sexual harassment elsewhere in the university. In addition, a UC labor union has proposed a Constitutional amendment to give the state Legislature authority to remove a regent...

Full story at http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/UC-regent-who-asked-to-hold-actress-s-breasts-12435049.php

No comments: